June 30, 2008

Two Zero- Twenty


Saturday was the first dental visit for our preschooler. I chose not to follow the route of reading a lot of books about it or showing any videos. My gut told me not to make a big deal about it. The only exposure she had about it was the knowledge that mom went to the dentist few weeks back and came back in one full piece. I believe that it also made her all pompous of being getting to do something that mom did. Any and every act that a child engages in, is directed towards displaying her faculty to be just like the grown ups, its funny human nature because on the contrary as grown ups we all are trying to awaken the once alive naivete in us.
How many teeth do you have? Would you like to count them? And the next minute we were sitting in the “examination room”, that’s a different matter as to whose examination it was. The dentist was under the vigilant eyes of an extra cautious girl. She is in this profession for many years and must have dealt with varied personalities. Well, time to show if she had gained any expertise all these years! At the end the team of mom and the preschooler gave her a five star rating with only one tiny complaint. “Mamma, when the dentist was cleaning my teeth she asked me if she is tickling me. I was already laughing mamma because I was getting tickled. When someone tickles us we laugh. Why did she keep asking me that, she should know if I am laughing while getting teeth cleaned that means she is tickling me. I don’t laugh when I brush at home because my toothbrush doesn’t tickle me. She has a funny toothbrush.” I wanted to tell her that probably she was getting more tickled by your laughs than you were by her brush because you, being a child, are trying to grow up and she, as we all grown ups are, is trying to, one or the other way, connect with her departed childhood.
Oh, and by the way, she has twenty of them, 2 and 0, twenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated