June 24, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles


and then there are dollhouses. I was out today to buy a treat for my preschooler and while in the toy store I ask my way to the trains section I find myself posed with a question "How old is your son?" My daughter is 3 and a half "OH! It must be a few days craze." Unnn, well its been going since past two years. "Wow!! Never heard of that!" I don't blame the store owner as he must be speaking from experience. Boys running towards the trucks and trains and girls choosing the delicate Barbie dolls and teddy bears. Our preschooler is a big fan of anything that's a mode of transportation. Whenever we go to some one's house who doesn't have girls, we hear people apologizing for not having any toys for our daughter to play with. We often hear well meaning friends saying "I wish I had a lovely doll or a cute teddy bear for you to play with" , while we see our daughter cruising her way to the cars and trucks and wanting to see how they "go". As per school report, she had the most gala time when they got a visit from the local fireman who let the kids explore his truck. She is also girly enough to know the kind of clips to choose for the outfit she is wearing.Mauve doesn't match with pink shirt and navy blue can't be worn with turquoise blue. I am so looking forward to those girly nights and shopping blasts together!
When we came to United States I was amazed to see the women driving trucks, school buses and what not and I felt a liberated nerve that this must be one place on earth where men and women are at equal platform where there are no gender specific roles. What was I thinking, did I forget I was still on earth??? A little girl who plays with trains and cars doesn't fit in the definition that we as a society have outlined. I don't know if you have noticed, every kid's picture book has a girl teacher and a male sports coach. When the adventurous Dora became too popular, they had to come up with a male version Diego,why?

"Mamma, when I grow up I am going to cook yummy food like you and I will also be a train driver".

2 comments:

  1. LOL! You know my daughter never asked or owned a doll ever? She can beat any boy in the video games, not interested in cooking at all and hates "prissy" girls!When she was young she wanted to be a garbage truck driver too!
    Good for your kid, she can have that train if she wants or even the first female president of US of A! I guess America is not ready for one right now!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:34 PM

    I agree. I think girls should be able to play whatever games they want. Its tougher to do that with boys.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated