June 17, 2008

Mommylicious





Being so far away from family I miss everything about home, especially ma’s cooking. No matter what it is, it always tastes better when mum makes it, right from a simple cup of tea to an elaborate meal. Every one loves the food their mum brings to the table. Well, that sure does insure my food as a mom :-)
After I got married I got another ma, my lovable ma-in-law. She is an awesome cook but all I got was a double whammy of missing mum’s cooking multiplied by two!! She can cook in a jiffy, has ideas galore when we say things like we want to eat something but not fruit, not a meal but something really yummy. Everything that passes her hands in the kitchen gets injected with “tasteful ions” and we keep wondering what did she do to these simple ingredients!! I am a big fan of her “Aam ka Achar” (Mango Pickle) which cam be summed up as “simply heavenly”. It’s just the right mix of spices with only a touch of oil, the pieces are cut perfect triangles and when the jar is opened it fills the nose with an enticing aroma and pulls you to grab a plate and ask can I be first please!I don’t think there is any pickle in the market we haven’t tried and thrown away, no pickle can ever come close to what she makes.On our last visit we got a jar of her love and every time I relish it with my meals, I miss her even more.
I love you my moms.

1 comment:

  1. Aww..! that's a nice tribute to moms!:)

    My my mom and MIL have cooks at home, so I can't say exactly I miss it but my mom learnt to cook late in life, did good. MIL won't get up to get her own coffee! ;P

    I admire both my grannies though, my Indian cooking mostly comes from them, few from my mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated