June 26, 2008

The Learning Curve


Yesterday we were at the swimming pool for our preschooler's first swimming class. The coach was nice and gentle and the class seemed to be going well just when my daughter decided she doesn't want to learn swimming anymore. We spent all our time outside the pool squeezing water out of a fish toy while other 5 kids were moving ahead in the class. As a person I understood her fear and felt that she will do it when she feels it right but the parent in me found it hard to see other kids flapping their arms and legs in water and enjoying every bit of it while my kid was just sitting. I was so wrong in that last bit. She was not just sitting there, she was dealing with the fear and the insecurity, she was going through the chagrin of not being able to perform well as her peers. She was bewildered by the antithesis of her desire and inability, desire to jump in the sparkling blue water and her inability to let go of the fear. Her mind was perplexed by the trust all other children could display while she was fiddling with her confidence. She was growing up right there while I was being a baby who was adamant to just see the performance for which she bought the ticket.
I was a grown up before I had my daughter, she is helping me evolve.

3 comments:

  1. My son screamed at the sight of water until he was much older. Then one day when we are on vacation, his sister coaxed him into the water, held his stomach so he can just float. Before we left the resort he was swimming on his own and now he does back stroke and everything! ;D
    Let her take her own time, you are right to let her play. One thing we should NEVER do is to compare our kids with others. We have to learn from their cues. You are a good mommy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice words Asha.And wow, that is an amazing speed to learn swimming. Tomorrow is her second class, I am going to be patient mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy. read few of your postings till now and i quite liked it. It's wonderful to watch how kids perceive things. it makes u wonder why i didn't think it this way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated