June 23, 2008

No body's house


On our last visit to India, besides having too much fun in our home town with the family, we also squeezed in a two day trip to the Pink City and as everyone suggested we stayed at Chokhi Dhani- an ethnic village resort. The concept is great, giving the experience of pastoral life. The brochure said "The right blend of tradition with modern amenities". For us, it turned out to be the blend of unhygienic toilets, beautiful village fair swamped by armies of mosquitoes, watching puppet show while covering our nose to keep the cow dung smell away, toilets with no water to wash hands and no towels in our rooms. The service was as rural as it could get, you ask for something and then just wait and wait and wait and wait and then you don't wait anymore, you go to the front desk to get what you wanted. RamramSa. Believe me, we really wanted to enjoy this but maybe we were not ready to give up the basics like clean water and air. I must say here that the front desk staff was superbly polite and helpful.
So anyways, while we were in our rooms at the resort, our preschooler posed a question. Mamma, whose house are we in? Oh honey, its no body's house, its a hotel. We are at No body's house Mamma? Ummmm, well, unn, I guess we can say that. Its no body's house coz its a hotel, people come here, pay money to stay and then leave and then someone else comes. And my mind was wandering in the thoughts that maybe that's why no one is bothered to provide any basic facilities because its no body's house so no one is answerable for anything.
Every time we talk about going on vacation, she says, oh we are going to be at no body's house for fun. I hope not honey!!

2 comments:

  1. Sandhya I am so delighted to have found your blog! You have a natural flow to your writing, your whole personality bubbles forth in it. You should write professionally. Or do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deepa, Thank you for the encouraging words, though I haven't written professionally yet!! I love reading your blog, it helps me stay close to my hometown.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated