April 02, 2010

Udaipur : Photo essay




Aravali Mountains, view form our hotel.







I was so amused by this, a proper hindi word "Kaarya" along side "Chalu" ;-)



 Udaipur is home to beautiful gates in various part of the town.




 I was so happy to see signboards everywhere. Haathipole is shopper's paradise in Udaipur.



 The ever famous Chetak Circle. No matter where you want to go, you go through Chetak Circle!


 Entrance to City Palace.


 The Majestic Palace.


 Jharokha (window) from where the kings could see the whole city. Love the architecture.



 Jharokha that opened int he courtyard, its a window for the women residing in the palace to view the performances in the held courtyard. Pretty, isn't it? No matter how pretty, I would have not liked to be segregated like that!



 Elephant! I love the decorated elephants of Rajasthan and this was no exception.

 You thought you could take an exit without seeing Chetak again?
This was a wonderful place to visit. Udaipur enamored with its charm, with small bikes and auto rickshaws that could go just about anywhere! City palace had lovely architecture but left me wanting for more. Living in a palace is so enchanting but after seeing queen's room about a quarter mile away from the king's and that he would send a messenger with a paan (betel leaf) to let the queen know that he wants to see her alone, I loved coming back home! Our life is so much better without all those distances and middlemen!

And this lady took my breath away......!!


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:33 AM

    The little lady is adorable :)

    Rajasthan is beautiful... I spent some years as a kid in Rajasthan, and we had this Hindi poem, the lines of which I still remember,
    "Rana ki putli muri naheen, tab tak Chetak mur jaata tha..." I used to imagine my dog loves me the way Chetak loved Rana :)

    Lovely photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:35 AM

    Your blog is looking beautiful! Love what I can see on both the sides while writing this comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @IHM: We had so much fun in Udaipur. Rajasthan is my favorite place to go in India, so vibrant and gorgeous architecture. I am glad u like the new look, though I have to still work on few links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the only thing that hits the eye is that water bodies are missing..even the artificial ones like the fountains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Diwakar: You are so right, its called a city of lakes and I didn't include any of those!! Welcome here though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated