April 07, 2010

Have you filled a bucket today?



Last night we were in the middle of rituals, yes we are very ritualistic when it comes to bedtime. Brushing teeth, flossing teeth and reading a bedtime story and then showering each other with kisses and hugs before we embark our journey to dreamlands. Every single night, no matter how tired I am or how tired is Saumya or how late we are, we have to do this, have.to.do.this. Sometimes daddy gets to join in too and those are delightful days for him. So about last night, after all the rituals, I turned off light in the room and was about to say goodnight and a little soft voice chirped "Mama, can you please lie down for few minutes with me" Both of us, in bed, looking at each other and smiling, just simply being quiet and smiling and the little voice said

"Mama you are filling my bucket so much that its spilling all over"

Her teacher read a book to the class "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" It tells that everyone has an invisible bucket and when we treat others nicely we fill their bucket and we fill our own. When we are mean to others we empty other's buckets along with ours. This resonates with the golden rule "Treat others as you would want them to treat you" If I empty your bucket, mine gets empty too or rather if I fill yours, mine gets filled up too. And how do I do it? With my deeds and positive actions. It also stimulates the thought process that in order to be happy, we need to think of others. When we are considerate of others, when we treat everyone around us nicely, we get the same in return. 

So how did I fill your bucket Saumya? 

"By driving me home, by making food for me, by giving me a bath, by ironing my clothes and with all the kisses! "

"By expressing this, you are filling my bucket Saumya!"

I am so using it next time we are in a store...honey buy me that handbag, it will fill my bucket and yours too!! Don't you worry about that empty wallet, just look at that bucket sweetheart!! Muaahhhhaaaaa *evil laughter* 

Just kidding!!

I came out of her room beaming. My bucket was full. 

We can ladle positive thoughts into other's buckets by reaching out to someone without them asking, by complimenting them, spreading love. One of my dear friends filled my bucket today, and hers, by surprising me with boxes full of laboriously made food, when she came to know I was sick. And seeing this bucket filling action of hers, Saumya said "Mama, now we need to make some of her favorite foods and deliver to her house so we also get a chance to fill her bucket. And ours too!!" 

And whenever anyone of us misbehaves, yes mommies misbehave too many  at times, we say "you are emptying your bucket and mine too!!"

Handbags or no handbags, we acknowledge the bucket filling as well.

Have you filled a bucket today?


5 comments:

  1. That is such a nice concept!!! Lovely post, Sandhya. Now I will observe how I fill my bucket every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Hugs to Saumya, even though she made me cry early in the morning! :) We were taught such things in the school I studied in as a kid, this remains with us throughout... I am discussing this with my kids and we are going to keep track of all the buckets we fill too!

    And that precious time you spend with Saumya before sleeping, even today I need to talk to, and listen to my kids before we all sleep :)

    Lovely post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Titaxy: Yes, I liked it so much and it's a good way to remind ourselves to be "nice"
    @IHM: Happy tears, thats what kids bring, don't they? I never knew about this until Saumya told me! All schools should do this to inculcate basic courtesy and a bully free environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:07 AM

    I agree Sandhya. And I love the concept of a 'bully-free' environment. In India it's common to hear parents teach their children to be street smart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And being street smart means pushing your way and overlooking how we make others feel. I should included an incident in the post that Saumya told me happened at school and how she handled it using this concept, maybe I should edit the post now :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated