August 13, 2008

What's in a name?

Playing around in our home office, our preschooler found a picture of mine which she hasn't seen before.
"Mamma, are you sitting in a restaurant in this picture?"
"I sure am".
"Is this a picture of the time when we were celebrating daddy's birthday?"

That's her most recent trip to a restaurant.

"No, this is an older picture, even before you were born. Two years before to be precise".
"Was I in your belly?"
"Ummm, no sweety, this picture is from even before that. "
"So where was I when I was not born and was not even in your belly??"


Saying that you were nowhere just doesn't seem right to me and she was definitely somewhere in the big scheme of things.

"You were in mamma and daddy's heart all the time".
"Oh, and you used give me love from inside your heart?"

The way your heart gets pulled by kids is simply amazing. No matter what they do, love you or hate you in any particular moment, innocent and oblivious, they are pulling the heartstrings. After becoming a mom, I have realized how I can emote for seemingly no reason at all!

"Yes my doll, you are always surrounded by our love".
"Mamma, why did you choose the name Saumya for me?"


Eyes wide open I looked at her, is she really asking me this?

"We always wanted to have a girl who is soft spoken and nice to people and your name means just that. So it was easy to pick a name for you"

Her face lit up as if the brightest ray of sunshine has been spread over.

With open arms she said "Mamma come here, I want to give a lot of love to you, I have huge love for you mamma"
"Where did you get such huge love for me?"

"From you"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:26 PM

    Most people chose american names for their kids ... why not u ?.. but saumya is a nice name..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated