February 02, 2009

Step back, please!

Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed - Maria Montessori

A day at our house goes --------
Daughter - "I wanted to turn that light on"
Off and then on again.
" I wanted to close that door"
Open and close again.
" I wanted to take that sweater out of the drawer"
Sweater gets folded again, goes back in the drawer and then gets taken out again with a gleeful face
"I wanted to hang that towel back on my own"
Towel comes down the bar, girl steps on the stool and hangs it again.
"I wanted to put butter on my toast myself"
Hmm, this can't be undone, so she becomes the big person and says "Don't forget it next time, OK?" 
"I wanted to put my syrup on pancakes all by myself"
This can't be undone too, so she again tries to be the big person "Just like I said about my toast, don't forget that I will put my own syrup everyday" 

When will us, the parents, grow up??


3 comments:

  1. LOL!!! She is growing up fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww and somebody is helping her mom grow up :)
    I TRIED to be so good, but it was tough when I just wanted a job done fast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asha - she is growing up fast and seems we really need to pick the speed!
    IHM - you got it, i get so frustrated when I know it can b done in one third of the time but then I get so gullible looking at her asserting her independence and displaying the practical skills!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated