February 25, 2009

Flavors of home


Our dinner last night! We served it to Saumya as Chip(Makki ki roti) and Dip(Sarson ka saag). She ate ever last bit of the green dip with thick chips!
I have not missed my mom like this before, she is on my mind all the time. It may sound weird but to feel closer I am cooking few of her favorite foods these days. She loves Sarson ka saag with makki ki roti but I never liked this dish and now every bite reminded me of the warmth of home, of ma's lovingly bringing rotis hot off the stove for all of us. I love you ma, I wish I could be with you.

4 comments:

  1. Aw..!! Hugs to you. I know we all miss home but life has to go on here somehow. Sag and roti looks yum, that is one way to feel good as well. I was thinking of my grandmother a lot too on Shivaratri. Do tell her it's roti and sag also, because she needs to learn.
    My 14 yr old son the other day asking me "mom, make that yogurt sauce with crunchy thingies in it" and it took a while for me understand which dish he is talking about and I made him say the real name "Menasale" (spicy yogurt sauce with fresh chopped cucumbers in it!):D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asha, thank you!Sometimes I feel what am I doing here but then majority of the times I love being here.
    You are right about telling her, I guess at this time we are just happy celebrating that a 4 year old ate saag and made no fuss!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:15 AM

    That is so very emotional. We have it all the winters and it is the most wonderful dish around-punjabiyat in full steam!
    I love the dish-why shouldn't I?(am a true blue Punjabi-lolzz)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:53 PM

    O Ji Tussi Kudi nu Butter naal dia karo jee.... Makke dee roti sarso da saag + butter.... looks good combination... yam yam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated