July 03, 2008

Great Expectations

How do you decide which book to read next? Does it depend on your current mood like if you are sad you pick up a saga, if you are happy you go for a light beach read and if you are angry you look for a murder mystery, oh boy! Are you sure you want to that? Just kidding! My book selections are guided by what I am not doing at the moment. Confused? Well, if my time is going too much in taking care of my daughter, I tend to stay away from parenting books or magazines and if I am having a cooking blast in the kitchen, I stay away from recipe books and if I am feeling lonely, contrary to the popular notion, I tend to stay away from self help books. I use books to escape the humdrum of my life and let me be involved in the life of strangers and extract a plethora of emotions and experiences that make me wiser and empathic. And what kind of a book I pick if I spend my time drooling over my new car? Well I just drool and opt out of books! On that, when the information reached the preschooler’s teacher about our new car, she said “Its just so you”. I couldn’t get the point but hoping it was a positive remark.
Back to books, Last night I finished the diary, Bridget Jones that is, before all you literary buffs out there squawk, remember variety is the spice of life and I like spicy things. Bridget Jones Dairy, considered a bible of chic lit, yes I am a chic lit fan, has failed to impress me. It didn’t do anything. It could be that I read other chic lits before picking this one and they became much more sophisticated after going through the learning process, if you will. It was like jumping up and down after spotting a book at the library claiming to be the best Indian cookbook and later on feeling wasted coz it failed to bring anything new to what I already know from my two beloved moms. They aren’t targeted towards Indians who know the manifold layers of a ‘garam masala’ but for the ones who are brave enough to try their hand at an alien cuisine.

Did your last book live upto its expectations?

4 comments:

  1. LOL @ "she said “Its just so you”. I couldn’t get the point but hoping it was a positive remark"
    May be she is just jealous!;D

    "Monsoon Dairy" by Shoba Narayan is great. I have listed many books in my latest posts,some with reviews all the way at the bottom of the posts. I don't like too much profanities in the book, specially Indian authored books, when they think it's "cool" and "westernized" to swear every other sentence!

    I just bought Jeffrey Archer's "Prisoner of birth" to read when on vacation after 11th, liked "Video" by Meera Nair. like Jhupa Lahiri's books too. Kite Runner was the best.
    Not much into chic flicks or books related to that line(I am older you see!:D)
    Enjoy the 4th!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey asha, I love Jhumpa Lahiri too!! I am always waiting for her to release a book and usually read it one sitting :-)
    "its just so you" it keeps coming back to me and makes me wonder, hmm, why did she say that!! Today when I dropped my daughter off I realized we forgot her swimsuit home so I offered to drop it off later that day. The same teacher said "well sure coz now you need to be on road in your fancy car for no reason" Ahem!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I use books to escape the humdrum of my life and let me be involved in the life of strangers and extract a plethora of emotions and experiences that make me wiser and empathic" - Good one.

    Over the course of time i've accumulated tons of books. Most of them are good ones. Nowadays, whenever i go to a bookshop, i control myself from buying a new one and say to myself "first finish the books you have and you can come to this".

    And nowadays i am alternating between a sudheshi (Tamil) and a videshi (English) book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated