June 05, 2010

Think Global !!

I was doing our usual night time ritual of reading a good night story to Saumya and the book was 
                         Time For Bed  
Its a very simple cute little book featuring different animals on each page where the parent animal is trying to settle its kids for bed, helping it sleep. Beautiful illustrations depicting dusky scenes and loving sleepy expressions. It's one of favorite night time books. But there is one page which, instead of bringing sleep to our daughter's eyes, sparks a debate with the author! 
              It's time for bed, little sheep, little sheep, the whole wide world is going to sleep
She says, "Hey that's not true!! The whole wide world doesn't go to sleep at the same time! When I sleep my nani ma and dadi ma wake up in India, my mom's friend in Australia is in office, another in New Zealand is awake too! Haven't you seen the world map? I will have to tell this person who wrote this book that earth goes around the sun and when part if facing the sun, its day time there and night time on the other side. So no whole wide world together bedtime!!"
When I was 5 years old I would have not questioned this because my whole wide world was limited to not my country but only to my city!!!
Citizens of the world :-))

12 comments:

  1. Lolz she is an intelligent little girl. When I was small I thought my mother switched off the sun so that she could tuck me in bed and keep me away from troubling her :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are really smart these days :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! now that's one intelligent little kid :)
    When I was 5 my world was limited to my schoolmates and neighborhood, not even the whole city ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god !! Such a logical argument na ? Imagine we sure didn't have this much piece of mind to put forward to our parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. smart parents smart kids

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sakshi,Shilpa,CB, Nu, SM: These kids are getting so much exposure that wasn't there in our days but I love observing the fact that children aren't only passive observers rather they are applying what they gather in their everyday life!
    I just kept on smiling while she animatedly went on explaining me the movement of earth and phenomenon of day and night!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart, smart. when I was that young, I thought the world began at the street begind my place, and ended at the one behind my school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww she is really smart! U r rt Saumya ... I join u too :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Giribala: Sweet Indeed!
    @Chinkurli: We were so naive!
    @Swaram: You joining her debate with the author? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hee hee! Smart kid, that one! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The same mistake our first PM had done "as the whole world sleeps .....")

    Very smart of her :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated