June 08, 2010

Life's Like That



Dear Saumya,
Summer vacation is just about to begin, to be exact its only two more days of school. You must be so happy!! No alarm clocks putting an instant stop on your dreams, no hurry up calls from me in the mornings. Yay! Just lazy summer days of doing whatever you want! Yoohoo!! Yeah, Not so fast honey. With me hovering around you for 24 hours a day, don't expect too much of lazying around. It's not my vacation, I still have all the jobs that I do everyday and then in addition there will be your sweet self to entertain. So just when you think of taking out those water paints and spread yourself on the family room floor, you will hear me calling you for a bath. Just when you think we can go out for a walk, you will see me chopping and stirring in the kitchen. Right when you take that board game out, you will see me lugging that laundry basket down the stairs. And just when you get bored of me bossing you around and decide to lay low and lie down on your bed, I will request you to take out your most complicated puzzle. Make it. I will be like this, for the first few weeks I guess. Many a times I will not answer your questions not because I won't know the answers but to tell you the truth I become very bitter when I am under your radar all the time. Its like you are doing that Police song on me
Every breath you take and every move you make 
Every bond you break 
Every step you take, I'll be watching you 
Every single day and every word you say 
Every game you play 
Every night you stay, I'll be watching you 
You not only watch but also ask the "why" of every move and step I take. 
Why did you cu that strawberry like that? Why did you wash those rice two times, why did you put the ketchup bottle here, why did you stir that pot so fast, why why why!!
And when I am bitter, I like to keep my mouth shut. Sorry sweetheart, people must be  looking forward to their kid's vacation and they must be making such merry making plans of the things they are going to do together. All I am hoping to do, at least in the first few weeks, is to preserve our sanity, your and mine, both! We love each other like no one can but we are so not used to spend every waking moment together and expecting us to smooth sail through this, without hitting any bumps, would be asking for just too much. Totally unrealistic !! Right? Right.
                                    My summer vacations, yes I had those too (!!!) , used to start in my Mausi's home. That's right!!  When I would come back home on the last day of school, I would find Promila Mausi waiting for me with my clothes already packed to go. Mother would call from her office and tell me that I can go with her. And without seeing my mom, I would give my hand to Mausi and hop on the DTC bus, thinking about all the fun I would have at mausi's home, with my cousins. We would go back and forth from mausi's home back to our's, all the while the cousins helping finish each other's holiday's homework, making charts, painting posters, writing essays, collecting pictures for scrapbooks, building models. None of our parents knew what homework we got but they did know that whatever it is, the kids will make sure it's done.
     But sweetheart, here its just you and me. No mausi, mama or bua can come to pick you up. We are so far away from them that no matter how much they yearn for you, none of your cousins can be with us during your vacations. We will not have anyone with whom you can partner in the mischiefs, no sisters to play hopscotch with, no peers to giggle with. I am sorry honey,  Its just me you got. Your dad, as usual, will brighten our evenings, his arrival from work will give both of us a breather. He will salvage us from the weariness we impound each other with. God bless his soul for putting up with us!!
                                I know we will be doing lots of fun stuff together too but who are we kidding, right? Having fun with your mother will always pale in comparison to what you little girls manage to have. Oh well!  In times like these, I am  just left to ask myself this question, where's our family and why are we so far away from them.
               But since life's like that for us, we got to make the most of what we got. And you got me!! So  I wish you a fun filled happy summer vacation, yes we will try!
Lot's of love
Mamma

11 comments:

  1. I took a deep breath and sighed when I read this post. Yeah, so lonely to be here for us who grew up in India! Makes you think why are we here with our kids so far from all the fun we had in India, could have had in India?
    My kids will never know the fun of climbing trees, tasting tangy Mangoes and sweet Guavas, playing the whole day outside,walking miles to visit friends, no appointment or planning needed.
    Well...my kids are home too from today, planning to teach them some cooking and baking skills, other than that they just play video games and occasionally plan a get together with friends in mall or go to a movie.
    Have a great time S, life for us mommies goes on as usual!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) your honest confessions made me smile. I can almost feel the slight anguish(that isnt even the right word!)you feel - to be pulled from side to side by responsibilities and desires! Here`s hoping you get to spend some quality time with the lil one. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a beautiful, true to heart post.
    I could relate to it all in the ways I use to pester my mum during the school holidays. You brought a train of memories live with your wonderful narration. It almost happened the same way and almost this very sequence :)
    That song fit in to the scene just perfectly.

    I hope you get to relax and enjoy a lot more than is usually possible time with Saumya :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's wishing both of u have a wonderful time Sands and Saumya :) We wanna read a lot of posts abt ur fun-times, whenever u both get time to post that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true to yourself and Saumya....
    May you have a good time Sandhya :) without any probable hassles.... :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww..that was such a heart-felt ad honest letter, Sands! I so miss the fun I used to have during my annual vacation to my native place in Kerala. My brother and I used to look forward to running around the farm, the fun we'd have with our cousins, plucking imlis frm the tree...those were blissful moments.

    Its sad indeed tht our children are missing out on all that today. Poor souls have to make do with bickering moms like us instead :( !!

    Have a wonderful vacation, Soumya..I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with your Mom.

    God bless you, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!

    I guess all the readers of your blog, who haven't seen Saumya in real, have some idea about her. Ask everyone to draw her picture. I'd draw the shopper-Saumya photo

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Asha: Being with family just cannot be replaced by anything.......sigh!
    @Piper: Right, its not anguish at all and you said it so well....getting pulled from responsibilities to desires and back!
    @Chatterbox: We all have such lovely heart warming memories of summer holidays :-). I am sure we will have a good time!!
    @Swaram: You got it!!
    @Shilpa: :-) Thanks! We will!
    @Deeps: Vacations with cousins and siblings were indeed blissful!!
    @Raja: That's right because she is the star of my blog, readers would know her more than me :-)
    You would draw her shopping self.....really?:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:05 AM

    I can imagine how you must miss India at such a time Sandhya!!

    I am sure you will have a lot of fun together :) Make a plan and share with us!! :) We in India had no fun with cousins and my kids didn't either (everybody too far away, the fun was only on and off...)

    One summer I made magazines (my dog was the sub-editor, I was the editor) and delivered them room to room :), another we tried making 'gulkand' which made my sister sick :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. your letter made me cry. That's exactly how I feel about summer vacations and the WHY's!!! and I miss my brothers who made sure that I had the most wonderful vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @IHM: Pls enlighten me how the dog did the sub editing job? By eating parts of it....LOL!?
    @Sakshi: NOoooo, don't cry.......we will sail it somehow! I miss everything back home ..sigh

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated