March 26, 2009

Revisiting School Memories

I have been close to bengali culture since childhood. My school used to get aid from the West bengal govt. and in turn they wanted the school to encourage bengali culture. Rabinidra sangeet was our school's forte'.  Most of our teachers as well as classmates were bengalis. Saraswati Puja was our biggest festival which is till today attended by the alumni as well. Every girl would dress up in her best clothes and it was like a red carpet event with seniors standing at the gate and giving a once over to each and every girl entering through the gate. "oh my, what a lovely sari, is it your mom's?" hey that lehanga looks nice and the more so called modern ones would go for trendy jeans and skirts which were otherwise banned in school!
"Bolo bolo saraswati mai ki, Jai" sounds would fill the ambiance from aarti pandal. Nostalgia :-)
Surprisingly I never got introduced to bengali food!! But yesterday, over at Asha's food blog , I read about Luchis and it being a bengali bread, brought back all memories from school. I recreated her recipes today and the biggest food snob, our 4 year old gave the verdict "Thumbs Up".
I did use haldi to make luchis yellow in color but surprisingly they turned pink, no one is complaining though! We love pink! I served those with Chana masala following Asha's recipe. Delicious!

Thank you Asha!


6 comments:

  1. Looks so good! Turned Pink with turmeric? Really!! That is surprising, I thought you added Beet juice to it when I saw. Looks great though,glad S loved it. Thanks for trying, Happy Gudi Padva, we call it Ugadi. Hugs to you and best wishes. Got to go and cook now for dinner although it's a regular Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the pink surprised me as well. maybe it reacted with baking soda? S loved it all the way, she took it for lunch today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pink luchis look really cute!
    Your gujiyas below look very tempting too, gave me a serious craving for them :-)
    First time here you have a cool space.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usha, welcome!! We all loved the pink surprise yesterday :-)
    Hope to see you here often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:55 AM

    See, I told you...you are a good cook:)
    Great work and Asha seems to be someone who likes cooking too. Will surely visit her blog sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash ahas a great blog Mithe, do visit her, you will be inspired to cook or eat ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated