March 16, 2009

Religion and God

What is my religion?

I have a God and have a very personal relationship with Him. The idea of a pundit, priest or a pujari to help me get to My God doesn't work with me. This is one place where the middlemen doesn't stand a chance with me. I don't need to wake my god with bells of a temple or by doing holy fires or by cooking the priest prescribed food for Him. I can talk to Him whenever I want and need to. For me, It's like picking up the phone and start talking to your buddy. To me He is always reachable. I share my happiness with Him and I do not forget to tell Him when he mess up.
My Religion
1. Doesn't empower me to judge the way others communicate with God. It's the way they find Him.
2. Does not depend on rituals. Once I was advised by well meaning aunt to start offering water to Shiva. The temple was very close to our house, the Almighty was just a few steps away! With all reluctance I began the process of going to the temple every Monday and offering water. While pouring water down the Deity, all I could see was water going down the drain and just kept on wondering who is getting benefited by this wasteful act of mine? Aunt said it would please the God. And my questioning self was not able to justify how an act of wasting a precious resource, for which, in most parts of India, people line up to fill their buckets but still go home empty handed, would make God happy? I could not find my God that way.
I am unable to reach my God when I have to follow directions set by others, whether it is covering my head, using only a stainless steel dish, throwing only "a pair" of cloves in fire, or a simple task of first sprinkling water and then offering mithai to the idol or taking off my slippers. In this labyrinth of directions and rules I just lose contact with the God, who is mine. When I do participate in such rituals to fit in the norms of society it seems a mockery on my part. I feel disconnected from Him and my mind just wanders off to other things and just wait in anticipation of getting to be done with it. The rites and rituals bother me, they offer no meaning to me, they put pressure on me, a pressure to perform and perform it right. It makes me feel small, smaller than the person who has decided for me these ways of connecting with God. I feel nearest to God when I get to celebrate festivals my way, I do not bother others, mind just my own business and do not poke in others lives and when I close my eyes I can ask Him, how are things for Him too!!
And in the eyes of others I become a non religious person. Really? Why? Is religion only valid if I follow the rituals?

9 comments:

  1. Everyone of us is different and has different levels of maturity, belief and faith.. Some need a shape and form, some need a set of rules and customs and others can just believe in an intangible energy source!! The religions and customs have been created to give man a sense of direction and decorum to his belief.. To move him away from his cave man existence to a more rule and moral oriented life! Hope I am making sense! Here is my thumb rule, while I do not believe that some rite or ritual really pleases God, I do it because it pleases some one else.. maybe an elderly relative.. (as long as it does not affect me whats the harm? wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:24 PM

    Hmmmmmm... Great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Preethi, very rightly said. I am in sync with your thought of needing religion but my question remains....why am I expected to follow rituals in order for me to be religious?? Would following rituals make me more religious? I can connect with my Almighty without these , forcing me to follow rituals would still be appropriate?
    @Anonymous-- Thanks but what are your thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous- i agree but u know many other old religious activities are unsocial: crackers in diwali, murti visarjan at durga puja, throwing flowers in rivers, many other traditional activities -not good for Environment .. as well i am an Environmentalist, .. online .. to aware ppl about Global Warming.. why u disable ananamous comments?? do u afraid of Anonymous lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a matter of being afraid of anyone, I like to know who am I communicating with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:38 AM

    I am back! Sorry for being absent for so long....
    Howz been life treating you?
    I am commenting on all the posts I have missed. This is the first one..
    You know something, you are a beautiful person Sandhya....how aptly you have put the negetive side without offending anyone! lovely...
    But I think, rituals are important too...if not for wasteful practices but for bringing us together as a community on festivals (wasteful practices should stopped)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:11 PM

    I do not follow any rituals either. I pray anywhere, and I have never doubted my own goodness of heart, I do not need any middle men between me and my God either.

    LOVED this post Sandhya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mithe: Celebrating festivals can be separated from following mindless rituals which no one understands.
    @IHM: Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do agree with you to some degree. Infact my husband thinks EXACTLY like you. I like to follow few rituals of worship as I have seen my mother doing them and feel connected to her values when I do what she sued to do infront of the idol of god. My husband Anand feels completely disconnected like you and feels he can reach his god in his own ways. Infact we did not get our son through the custom of mundan as he felt that it traumatises a child more than doing any good to him/her. My mother was so angry at him but I could see logic in his rational ways. WOW Sandhya I am glad I am able to know you through FB and this blog. I have so much in common with you. Have not found a single person in Auckland or in Delhi who thinks like us. Keep up the good work. Cheers Navnita Das Sajwan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated