December 01, 2009

My heart lies here

When I was a little girl I would play ghar- ghar (house) with my friends, pretending the whole park to be our house with imaginary lines dividing the living room( the drawing room as its called in India), the dining room and the bedrooms. Was it my dream home, No. Somehow in real life I never thought of the kind of house I would live in. There was simply no plan or an expectation. I guess there was this contentment in me which never made me wish for things.
Yesterday we celebrated our home's 4th anniversary. The day we moved in, it was cold and rainy and the moment I stepped in, as my socks were wet too, I slipped on the kitchen floor with Saumya in my arms. The house was already a stranger to me but now it became a hostile stranger. Husband went away for a business trip within four days of moving. I was alone with a baby, in a house which seemed like someone else's. Looking out the window, the bare street and lawns covered in snow, not knowing who lives next door, everything felt cold and I felt like an alien on earth. But with each passing day, reaching little milestones like Ssaumya's first birthday, her first words, her first step, first party, first movie night, our laughters, our tears and many more such things through which life happens, we made this house our own, our home.
They say home is where the heart is and my heart surely is with our home. A home whose walls might still be bare but they stand proud and strong. Rooms might lack appropriate furniture but we don't find the same comfort anywhere else. It may not be clean all the time but this is the place where we find our reality. Its a place we call our own, a place we fill with our love, laughter, cries, joys, hopes and aspirations. That little girl of yesteryear's is not playing house anymore as we have a home and its real.

image courtesy : google images.

15 comments:

  1. awesome...congrats on the 4th anniversay of having a place to call home... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Titaxy: Welcome here and Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:36 PM

    I feel this way about our home too... a place where we always feel, well 'at home' :) Lovely post Sandhya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:40 PM

    Congratulations! It must be wonderful to live in your own place.. I have got tired of planning of living in my own place :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @IHM: Thank you! I am certainly in love with my home because it is mine:-)
    @wordsndreamz: You will get there, its a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Sandhya :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. एक मकान धीरे धीरे घर बन जाता है जब उससे एहसास, यादें और रिश्ते जुड़ जाते हैं. एक बहुत अच्छी पोस्ट लिखी है आपने.

    मेरी कलम - मेरी अभिव्यक्ति

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bindhu: Welcome here!
    @Anil: Shukriya Anil!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the 4th anniversary and that is one cute doll house.

    It is a great feeling to live in our own home. I absolutely love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Solilo Don!!! You are here!! Apne blog se aya mera dost, dost ko salaam kero.......Thanks Sols! it sure is a wonderful feeling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww that's such a heart touching post about a home I have ever read...sniff! I think I will feel the same way as you do when we have our own place. As of now we are quiet the nomads and keep moving from one place to the other. But yeah I make sure every house we move into is made to feel like or cozy zone :)

    Btw after that long comment let me wish you a happy 4th anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arey waah, aaj to apun ka lottery nikla rey, Sakshi, ahem Basanti is here. Welcome I say!!
    It is lovely to see you here!!
    BTW, it seems you are a nomading in the same state I live in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROFL at your comment at my place. seems like we two souls are peeping through Windows at each other at the same time?? You are in MA? Where the hell girl? Tell me tell me. I am in Boston and have a driving license and can steal my husband's car keys!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:15 AM

    Congratulations on the 4th anniversary,Sands. That was a heart-felt post!

    It must be so fulfilling to live in your own home. Good luck for the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Deeps, it sure is a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated