May 21, 2010

From Mercury To Pluto

Once my little daughter, when she was 4 years old, told me how God and a mother are related. Her point of view though precious, did pose a lot of questions to me. When we are little children we see our parents as absolutes, as irrefutable entities. If my mother said so, it has to be true, if my dad can't do it no one can. Parents are given an unparalleled position, a supreme pedestal by the little ones and these rudimentary souls hold indestructible trust that whatever parents say or do is beyond question. Its one of the purest form of human emotions. Such kind of love and trust is nowhere to be seen, never in any other relationship. Why? And why does this relationship of a parent and child change? 
             When a child is born, she is at the mercy of her parents to survive. They feed her, clean her, comfort her, they provide for her in every possible way she needs them and then some more. The child starts growing and though very little, her mind is taking shape with the influx of information that is obviously in favor of the parent. I cried, they fed me. I cried, they swaddled me. I cried, they cleaned me. I cried, they held me. I cried, they talked to me. Whenever the child wants, we give. All the childhood years, this process goes on. And the parents enjoy doing this because their actions are never questioned, never investigated by the child. There is no doubt it's a laborious task but a very gratifying one!! Parents are in control of the situation, they have complete authority and the child displays a sense of security while being in their company. It's a harmonious system of give and take, where one gives and the other takes. But as the child grows, she gets exposed to the outside world. There are other people, other places, and other experiences outside home that influence the flourishing mind. And the shift begins. The child develops a mind of his own which does not take things as absolutes, a mind which questions everything and does not follow rules simply because mama said so. The progressing mind asks for reasons and also starts to question his parent's beliefs and values.  The child isn't just an unassuming, compliant sole anymore. The parents, who became so habitual of being on the supreme pedestal that their child honored them with in the early years, become nervous. This inquisition makes them uneasy.
                          Few days ago, we were in the car, going out for casual family fun and my little one said "Mama, I love you" This verbal display of love isn't out of the ordinary for her, she says it only about 10 or 15 times a day. I was reading something and responded with a nod and a "Umhum" and then she said "Mama, I love you from Mercury to Pluto" ..................Honestly, my heart skipped a beat. To say that I was ecstatic would be an understatement but more than that I was afraid. Her words grabbed my heartstrings and pulled on them as if asking "Are you ready to take the pain, are you strong enough to bear the heartache?" 
       Not that I believe that once we grow up, we stop loving our parents but our opinion about them does change. They don't get to say the last word, we learn that they always don't know what's best for us, we mature enough to acknowledge that if dad can't do, somebody else can. Because of our growth as an individual, our own set of ideas, our own perception of right and wrong, all that shapes us as an independent entity and separates us from the whole, we become capable of looking at our parents as normal, regular people. We are able to expect mistakes from them, our wisdom helps us unload from them the burden of being "supreme beings" and in a way this should bring a sigh of relief to parents but it does exactly the opposite. To the parents, that absolute, never questioning, unconditional love of the child seems to travel from Mercury to Pluto, from burning hot to freezing cold. The parent child relationship changes. For the "all in power parent" its hard to relinquish that predominant position that the child bestowed them with. 
                              Looking at my relationships, I am not the same with my parents. I love them even more than when I was a child, for now I understand their struggles as well as their little joys but I can also analyze their actions and can perceive the mistakes they made, things they could have done better or not. And history has a tendency to repeat itself, life has a penchant of coming to a full circle which brings me back to my fear. I am afraid to lose that shining pedestal, the glory of being the first in my child's life, the powerful feeling of knowing the right thing all the time.
                     But when I ponder a little more, I believe as a parent I need to remember that there will be a time when  my child will experience life on her own and I won't be a part of every peak and valley she goes through. The years I spend with her while standing at the podium will make memories forever but there will be time to handover the podium to her. And her love will travel back and forth between Mercury and Pluto but I need to stay grounded on earth and not melt in the heat or freeze in the frigidity of that love.


19 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful wonderful post, Sandhya! It touched a chord in me. You are so right about changing perceptions of parents.

    'And her love will travel back and forth between Mercury and Pluto but I need to stay grounded on earth and not melt in the heat or freeze in the frigidity of that love!!' - This is so so true!

    Wonderful wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written S. It's not easy to let go and when they are into their own life, want Independence you feel betrayed and sad, but then life is like that. You learn to accept and then you enjoy their freedom and their life away from us from a distance. Not easy at all. Enjoy her now! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Smitha: Thank you Smitha. Her words did make me ponder for a long while.
    @Asha: "Not easy at all" that's right, and now I also know what my parents would have gone through when I "detached".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the sweet way you've captured the journey of the changes relationship of parents with their children face over time.

    It wasn't long before when I was a teenager and I could totally imagine in your words how much pain I would have given to my parents by trying to do things "my way"

    Beautiful post Sandhya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful
    touching post

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful and thoughtful post Sandhya :)

    And her love will travel back and forth between Mercury and Pluto but I need to stay grounded on earth and not melt in the heat or freeze in the frigidity of that love!!' - U summarized it so well for all of us :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so beautifully written, Sandhya. I could relate to every bit of what you wrote.

    "The years I spend with her while standing at the podium will make memories forever but there will be time to handover the podium to her." true, but the memories will be yours, and yours only, Sandhya that will make every moment of your life worth its while. So savor each moment.

    Immensely moving post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:33 PM

    Lovely as always... The moments I've loved my parents the most are when I've seen them at their most fragile, their most vulnerable. That's when you understand that they are human beings, on a journey as difficult and tumultuous as our own. I only wish my father had stepped down from his pedestal earlier, instead of holding on until the last minute. It is a wise parent who knows when to "hand over the podium".

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful words, Sandhya! And you hit the nail right on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :)
    a very touching post!! I can feel it.
    great writeup!
    So glad I stumbled across this blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great thought provoking post sandhya... came to your blog from IHM's. What u wrote is absolute reality. As I m nw preparing to b a mother soon, I am really inclined to make my child independent & I shud b a wise parent to let my child take his/her own decisions. Hopefully I do keep this promise later in my life as well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Chatterbox: Once we pass the teenage, we seem to feel that oh our parents learnt to it now, now they got it but in reality its us who grow up!!:-)
    @Swaram: Now I ope that I can remember this when time comes!
    @Deepa:the memories will be yours, and yours only, Sandhya that will make every moment of your life worth its while That exactly how I take it Deeps!
    @Montessorimatters: It sure is a wise parent who knows when to hand over the podium but I also feel that many a times even while knowing this, the "handling over" becomes such a difficult task that we keep avoiding it, not that we should!
    @AD: Welcome here and Thanks!
    @Sorcerer: I am glad you liked it and a very warm welcome here! Hope you stick around.
    @Varsha: Welcome and Congratulations on starting a new chapter in life! Keep reading, that's what I do to keep reminding myself to let go!! Hoping to see you here often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt like say "Yes" multiple times through the post. Parents are our idols to whom we look up to at every stage of our life. Lovely post Sandhya :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's one of the best blog posts I've read in the recent past. Very very well written, and didn't overdo anything.
    Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've put it so very well in words, Sandhya. As a kid, especially when a teenager, I am sure I troubled my parents a lot with my views and stuff. But as I grew and matured, I understand their point of view better. So very well written, this post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The best post I have ever read about a parent child relationship. Makes me want to weep. You have captured all the emotions so well, the love, the fear, the anxiety and everything in between.

    It's so hard to imagine that the one person you love so much will one day grow up and fly away..but like you said the memories made in this short period is gonna get us through.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post. :-) As I grow older, I appreciate my parents more and more, for giving me the maximum possible, for the scarifices they made...and for supporting my in my every choice. I think when I become a parent I'll truly understand what it means to do that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1:52 AM

    Beautiful post Sandhya!!! I also feel if parents understand and accept the change, they earn life long friends... the love doesn't diminish just because it can see the imperfections.

    In fact as children grow parents also notice what they might think are 'imperfections' in their perfect little babies, and if they respect and accept the children with their 'imperfections', they probably build strong foundations for the strongest relationships possible.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Chinkurli, I too learnt to respect my parents more with age, and most Sandhya like you mentioned in your post, when my own kids were born. I was like, "Did they go through all this and feel all this?!!"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated