November 24, 2009

Giving Thanks

Before I came to America, I did not know anything about Thanksgiving but now this is one festival which is growing its ranking in my list of things which I label with "I like it" This is a day when American families sit down together to share a meal, or two, to give thanks to people who came to this land to make new life and the native Indians shared their harvest with these new pilgrims. It is also called a Turkey Day as that is what is traditionally eaten on thanksgiving. If you are a Turkey, consider hibernating!!
I am starting to develop a fondness for this day because this festival is not associated with any religion, it does not celebrate any mythological superheroes. It honors actual real people who dared to think different and embarked on a long and difficult journey with hopes of fulfilling their dreams and they actually did! This day makes me stop, only if for a moment, to give a thought to all the things that are going right for me. The day does not ask me to follow any rituals that I do not understand, all I need to do is have a good meal, after which most of my clothes would not fit me, with my family and friends and be happy about the positives in life.
Though the focus of the day is on the bounty that you have, all the newspapers and television advts. about day after thanksgiving sales won't let you forget all that you do not have!! I can't say that I am not thankful for all those sales, in fact I am very thankful. Yea, I am gracious like that.
Splendid food, cheerful company of close friends and tireless shopping the next day that not only gets you those sexy boots that you were eyeing for a long time but also helps you burn those tonnes of calories that you consumed while being thankful, What's Not To Love? I say its brilliant! But if you are a Turkey, I am sure you have a different take on this whole thanksgiving business. I hear ya!
For all the non Turkeys "Happy Thanksgiving!"

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:30 AM

    I knew about Thanksgiving but was not aware of the significance behind it untill now. Thank you for this post,Sandhya!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post!
    I liked the way you pointed out "....this festival is not associated with any religion.."

    Hope you and your family have a happy and a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chatterbox: Welcome to the blog, hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving as well. Not being associated with religion makes this festival easy for me to follow :-)

    @deepsspeakingup: Welcome! You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D Looks like you had a blast at the sales.. we did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it was a fun day Preethi. You found any shoes?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated