June 15, 2010

Shopping For A Mama?

Last Week I was out an about, hopping from store to another finishing my errands. In one of the stores, a duo of a mother and a son were shopping. The little guy was about 5 or 6 years old, sitting in the front of the shopping cart and like any other normal child, bombarding his mother with questions about whatever he could lay his eyes on!
         Mom, why are you looking at that shoe? Mom, would you buy me that? Mom, how long will we stay here? Mom, why did you try on that hat? Mom, what's in that box?The mother was doing a great job of going about her business while answering his questions with words requiring the least effort like Yes, No, Unhun and an occasional "Don't do that". I am guessing the little boy wanted more than that as a response, maybe that's the reason he asked his next question.
                            "Mom, are you really my mom?"          !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was well within an earshot and along with many others customers in the store, just couldn't help smiling at this question. But surprisingly the mother in question answered this too very peacefully with a simple Yes in the very same tone she was answering his other questions! The little guy, maybe hoping for more fodder for communication, went a step further and asked  
                                                          "Are you sure?"
!!!!!! Whoa, or so  I thought!! This woman has patience of iron it seems, she again said Yes and went about her business of looking at pretty jewelery in the store. But the little guy took a big leap this time, his finger straight pointing at me, yes me (!!!!!) and asked
                                "Why isn't that pretty lady my mom?"
  Ahem....Gulp!!    
Everyone around just couldn't keep their laughs under their breath anymore and one very old woman, grinning from ear to ear, asked the mother "Did he really ask that?!!"
The mother was now agitated (finally) and while mouthing a 'sorry' to me, she said to him "Because I gave birth to you and not that pretty lady"

What did the little guy say upon hearing his mothers response 
                             
                            "Damn Mom!!!"

 I am not sure if that woman or me, are going back to that store anytime soon!!

13 comments:

  1. LOL! That was so funny! The poor lady :) And you pretty lady, that is a great compliment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids give the best compliments, pretty lady:)
    And kids are the best judges too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello pretty lady!

    LOL. Kids only can say things like this :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was one precious moment ;) :)
    Loved the spot on attempts by the child to get her mum speaking :D :D
    I agree with the rest, kids give the most honest compliments :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. God am glad I am not the only one who has to go through all the question sessions while shopping ;)

    That was one hilarious episode and btw did the little guy ask "mom can the pretty lady adopt me?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's one song in Kannada [these lines r in English though :P] ... I wanna sing that here :P

    Hello u lovely lady hw r u hw r u ;)

    Thatz one patient lady indeed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. he he ehe .. nice one .. you better watch out before the little guy comes marching to your doorstep.. and asks you.. why are you not his mom..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Asha: Funny it was!
    @Smitha: I feel bad for the mother too, can't imagine what i would do if Saumya says such a thing ever!!
    @PNA: Agree agree and why won't I!!:-)
    @Titaxy: Hello! Right on about Kids!
    @Chatterbox: It was a moment to relish I agree and as long as that honesty calls me the pretty lady, I am fine ;-)!!
    @Sakshi: I guess I ran away precisely for fear of that next question!
    @Swaram: I am fine I am fine!
    @Bikramjit: hey Welcome here to the pretty lady blog , LOL!
    @Giribala: It sure made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL...what a compliment, pretty lady :)

    And hats off to his mother's patience! I shudder to think how I would have reacted if Namnam had said something like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL :) Didn't she laugh?

    When my kids were young, we used to play Hansel and Gretel, where I was the witch and once my daughter told a shoe shop sales guy, "My mom's a witch!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. And wasn't that a terrific compliment!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated