March 18, 2010

Tired Of Doing Those Chores?





After Saumya comes home from, our usual routine revolves around talking about her day, my day and then she chooses some work to do while I make dinner. Few days back I did Saumya's laundry but didn't get a chance to take the basket to her room. Upon seeing the basket spilling clothes and her favorite teddy, she said, "Mamma, you washed everything today, Thank you" She does this every time I wash her clothes and her gesture does make me think that I have never thanked my mom for washing my clothes. Yes I was a brat like that but one day, this recognition from my 5 year old, made me call mom the very next day to say thanks for everything she has done for me. Better late than never! It did feel good but mum really couldn’t understand the fuss. Back to the laundry though, she requested me to put her clothes on her bed so she can sort them.  I never thanked my mom for her laundry services and I make my five-year-old put away her own laundry. How mean? If only my mom made me participate in chores like this, I would have also realized back then how much work all this is and would have also learnt to thank her along with many other people who made sure I get things when I need them!!  Oh wait, this certainly doesn't sound the way I mean it to, now I come across as if I am saying I am a better mother than my own mom. Yikes! 
Instead of wandering aimlessly let's go back to our laundry, yet again. Saumya took a long time sorting her clothes, making separate piles for socks, tights, leggings, shirts, dresses, undergarments, night suits, pants...I just went back to the kitchen hoping she finishes by dinner time. Once dinner was ready, I called her to come downstairs so we could eat and what I hear back is this "Mamma, I will take more time because I am organizing my drawers"
"Which drawers?"
"I am organizing my sock drawer, undergarments drawer, and legging drawer. It becomes very hard to find things"
Ahem. Gulp. Ahem. I frantically started organizing stuff in the kitchen drawers, you can call it parental pressure, err, a habit that runs in the family.  And a thought just kept on hitting me "As a parent I am supposed to set a good example for my child and here I am learning from my daughter's example" Was I embarrassed? Not one bit! In fact, I was a happy mom in those moments, taking pride in the environment we provide her at home, in perfect marriage to what she gets at her Montessori school, that is helping her develop a sense of order, a sense of responsibility and an appreciation for the effort that people around us put in everyday mundane chores. 
Saumya came downstairs with a big sigh of relief, a face shining with satisfaction and beaming with self proud. Getting ready for school is a tad easier when we are not going berserk looking for a pair of socks that match. And because she organized it, she makes every effort to keep it that way.  I checked off another thing from "everyday to do" list, I do not make Saumya's bed. Yeah, life is sweet by not doing stuff. No really, I strongly believe in "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" , what it means is we can only help someone so far and self reliance is the key to survival. Being able to go through one's day independently boosts a person's confidence and shows him enormous possibilities of things he can achieve. Each parent gets to hear this in early childhood years "Don't do it for me, teach me do it myself" And we don't cater to this desire of self dependence, we get brats like me who do not care to thank their mom for doing their laundry. First few days Saumya didn't care and just went back to the "unmade" bed. My signals seemed to go nowhere but one day, while she was at school I prettied up the bed in our room, changed the sheets and the bedspread with the fancy ones to make a statement, to make it look different than usual, to get it noticed. Upon return, she immediately noticed and commented, "Your bed looks pretty, how do you do it so nicely?" "Yes, I am good at it because I have been practicing it every morning" She went straight to her room and few minutes later, she comes back jumping with joy "I have a surprise for you, close your eyes and hold my hand and walk to my room" Tadaaaaaaaaa! The unmade bed got made, comforter neatly tucked in from all the sides. The trick worked! Every morning before heading downstairs for breakfast, she makes her bed. 
 Doing her laundry is a pleasure now. Are you saying “yeah right!!” ? But really, all I  do is bring the clothes to the laundry room and Saumya put them in the washer, I put the detergent and then she puts them in the dryer and then I bring them back to her bed which I didn't even make and still be a proud mother *evil laughter* muaahhahahaha!!
Now only if I can take care of my own sock drawer, life would be perfect.


image courtesy : google images


11 comments:

  1. such a model child, she is. :) how thoughtful of her to say thanks and then get working on sorting the drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 PM

    Hurray, hurray! I'm jumping for joy for you and your little one, for her beautiful development and your humility! :) Just yesterday I was talking to parents about expectations, about expecting more from their children and seeing them as the capable, responsible and independent human beings that they can be... Not in the future, but in the NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:59 PM

    This post touched a chord!! Saumya is such an amazing child!! And you are an amazing mom! Proud to know you :) My mom is shocked to see how self reliant my kids are :) I was a brat like you :) I didn't know one dal from another, but my kids not only know one dal from another they also know how to boil it and give tarka.

    We also work together. When they were young, when I cooked, they laid the table. If the maid didn't come, we all finished the chores together, they enjoyed it and even delayed some of the work, but they also made a chore into a fun activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this post. i have an eight month old and it is good to read of how i might raise him to be his own little person, capable and able, so young. i noticed that recently he has stopped taking his bottle with his hand,s and just opens his mouth expectantly. I don't cave, but then he cries. i get frustrated because I know he knows how to use his hands to take it. Why is doign this? at eight months is he...lazy? i don't have the anwswer but i justput up with the cries for a minute and make him reach for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Titaxy: not a model child , just a responsible individual :-)
    @Montessori: Thank you for such wonderful words, I am elated!
    @IHM: We are one brat generation! Saumya also takes care of table setting every night!
    @Jess: Welcome here. You are a new mom, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:21 PM

    Sandhya .... thanks for your comment re: my 'gimme a rope' post :) Saumya is learning the best way -- by doing it herself and gaining that independence! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOvely post,You should have posted a photo of your little one. Lots of blessings for your your little one.
    Same here, I never helped my mom much nor have i thanked them for all that they have done. Though i do it now and care for them.
    Today's Children are really great teachers. Even my 13 and 11year olds share our work. ONE day, when i had head ache. both my daughter and son, washed the utensils and my son dried them and they neatly stacked them up in the drawers.

    I think we are one lucky tribe of parents.
    Give my appreciation to saumya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading this :)
    Is Saumya a Virgo by any chance? :)

    Cheers
    preeti

    ReplyDelete
  9. @DelhiBound: Welcome to the blog!
    @Asha: So great to see you after a long time. Welcome! Children are really great teachers, i have learnt so much from her! I will give her a tight hug from you :-)
    @Preeti: She is a Saggittarian :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww Saumya is so so sweet .. Beautiful post Sands and glad I found ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Swaram.i am so glad to have found yours, its such a pleasure knowing you through your blog!
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Your comments are welcome and appreciated